'The Third Wife' by Lisa Jewell Review

Saturday, January 30, 2016


You think you have the perfect life.

You're successful. Attractive. Well liked.

And you've just got married for the third time. 

But that’s OK because everyone’s happy. Your children are happy. You're happy. 

And so is your new wife...

London, 3am: a tragic accident, and Adrian’s life starts to fall apart. 

Because everyone has secrets and secrets have consequences.

Some of which can be devastating.

The first disappointing book of 2016 has been found and it's such a shame, as 'The Third Wife' was so promisingHaving never read a novel from Lisa Jewell but always hearing plenty of praise, I had high hopes for an interesting page turner and unfortunately found myself having to push hard to even finish it. 

The book started off promisingly with a drunk Maya Wolfe being killed by a bus in the middle of the night and Adrian Wolfe (a.k.a. a serial husband) coming to terms with it, all the while trying to keep relations with his previous two families up to scratch and not succeeding. Some dark secrets unfold and relationships unravel throughout, all the while Adrian is questioning if Maya had committed suicide or if it was an accident.

The whole concept of the story was somewhat difficult to get on board with and was rather confusing at points, the characters were unlikeable and don't even get me started on the ending - I mean, come on!! Also, some of the situations were completely unfeasible, which became more annoying as the book went on. All in all, this was not the great read I'd hoped for and it's definitely not one I'd recommend.

Annnd breathe...

Now that I've had the mini rant, I don't want to diss the book completely as I'm sure there are plenty of people who have loved it. Therefore, a couple of positives were that I did enjoy reading from the view of different characters and the blackmail theme was quite intriguing, especially when trying to guess who was behind it. Regrettably, it just did not do it for me and I'm sad to say that I was glad to have finished it.

Have you read 'The Third Wife' or any other of Lisa Jewell's books? If so, what did you think? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for your comments!
I enjoy reading each and every one of them!