'Annabelle' Film Review

Friday, November 07, 2014






As Halloween comes around, horror films start cropping up in cinemas and anyone who enjoys a scary film will know that the cinema-experience is more frightening and better much better than watching at home. 

As soon as it came to light that there was going to be a spin-off prequel to 'The Conjuring', I knew it'd be one to see in the cinema. 'The Conjuring' was scary enough from the comforts of my sofa so 'Annabelle' had to be just as frightening, right?? 








It isn't.

Now when I started doing reviews on this blog, I made a promise to myself and to you to be as honest as I could, even if it was negative. And if I'm brutally honest, there's not a lot of good I can say about 'Annabelle'. 


The basic premise of the film follows a young couple preparing to have a baby and shows the time after the wife receives a doll to add to her collection. You think this film would be about a creepy doll, especially if you watch the trailer, wouldn't you? Well, you'd be wrong. It is, however, about a demon that has attached itself to the doll and makes some strange things happen. 




First of all, it was so damn slow! It literally moved at a snails pace. I understand that the story was trying to build but it was too slow, with not enough happening in between. 

Which leads me on my next point, hardly anything really happened. Or maybe I think that because 95% of the things that did happen were revealed in the trailer. If you want to jump and be scared, then I urge you to not watch any of the trailers as they just ruin the suspense and and potential scares. I think I jumped twice. If that. Not that there were even many jumpy moments! Very disappointing.



I also don't think they used the doll well enough. There could have been a lot of scary moments - the dolls head turning, more moving when no-one is watching etc. etc. - but there just wasn't. 

And then there's the ending; a definite anti-climax. Sure, it left it open for more films but it felt like there was a (small) build up for nothing! 


Maybe I was expecting too much of the film after enjoying 'The Conjuring' or maybe it was that I thought the film was going to go down a different route, but it was a huge disappointment. 



To give a positive - I don't want to be a complete Moaning Myrtle now! - the acting was excellent, very good. And granted, the doll is incredibly creepy looking.

All in all though, this film was not a good one for me.


Have you seen 'Annabelle' and if so, what did you think? 


Disclaimer - I do not own the copyright to the images in this post. All credit goes to Warner Bros. Pictures

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I couldn't agree more with this! I didn't find myself being scared after watching this at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear someone else agrees! Was such a shame as it could have been really good.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!
I enjoy reading each and every one of them!